Tuesday, September 04, 2007

garbage day

tomorrow is garbage day. i just got home from a walk and saw a family going through the trash at the apartment building on the corner of my bay. it really hit me. i have seen poverty and seen depravity. i have lived in big cities where homelessness is normal. i have been asked for food and for money on the street more times than i can count. i have led outreaches that focus on these issues. but today in my quiet little "perfect" white picket fence pleasant ville type community i saw a little girl putting on someones lipstick that had just come from a trash bag... and i want a bigger house and a pair of $50 kids shoes? now thats perspective. lord help me. help them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying, far too well...

Trev and Rebekah said...

That is perspective. Trev and I feel that God might be calling us to go overseas long term. It's hard to think about leaving this house I have grown to love.

If I go private that doesn't mean you can't read my blog. I'll invite you to read it. I guess so many read it and I don't know who you all are.

Dianna said...

Thanks for the reminder, challenges me also

Anonymous said...

Winkler holds more "secrets" than we know, huh? Reality is all around us - sometimes we just aren't able to see it. Thanks for allowing your perspective today to impact mine....

Karla