Sunday, February 13, 2011

love day

It's my fault really.. I LOVE valentine's day. I think it's fun to decorate with hearts and remember those we love. I have been building it up with the boys too. We have enjoyed writing Valentine's to their friends and we even made mailboxes to collect them in.

We made a couple lovely garlands and we opened up a special package from Ontario filled with Valentine's love... (thank you!). Sweet Ruby not only gave them a Valentine but a sucker to boot.. now that is love.

Today they left for Sunday School, Valentine's clutched in their hands. The boys had written their own names and were excited to pass them out. More than that they have anticipated filling their little boxes with Valentine's from their friends.. cause of course mom that I am told them all their friends would be handing them out too.... my sweet boys came out of SS empty handed. Not ONE valentine. We had a nice talk about how it is a blessing to be the giver. They moved on... but I am sad. I feel horrible for building it up totally expecting other kids would want to pass on the simplicity of a little V-day love.

Thankfully Tuesday they go to Shirley's and hopefully will have more luck. They still have the cards they got last year from their friends there and love looking at them.

I love the sentiment of Valentine's Day.. not only for lovers but just for the lovely notion that giving a little card makes the giver smile :) I am glad I learned that lesson today from my sweet boys. My Valentine's.



8 comments:

Eva said...

That is sweet.. love the mail boxes. Josiah headed to ss this morning with a valentine for each of his classmate too. I'm glad he came home with two (one from his teacher and one from a friend). It's nice to pass these traditions on to our kids.

Crystal said...

Ruby loves Ari+Noah+Jett :) And I love Heather xoxo

Crystal said...

Oh and Chris loves Dave. I'll just speak for him, he won't mind.

Heather said...

Feeling the love.. and C just so you know.. Dave is wearing the cowboy hat.. rrrrrrrrrr.

Crystal said...

Don't tease Heather. Pictures please ;)

patti said...

those mailboxes are so cute!
good job find a teaching moment for your boys!
happy love day to you!

Emily Deu said...

love the mailboxes, how did you make them?

Heather said...

they were a find at Michaels last year after VDay.. like 75% off.. they are stinking cute and very easy to put together. :)